Sergeant Cuff’s Manipulation

When I first read D. A. Miller’s The Novel and the Police, I understood what he was saying about authority and discipline because I could apply it to real life but I struggled with seeing it in the novel The Moonstone. Miller says “Disciplinary power constitutively mobilizes such a tactic of tact: it is the policing power that never passes for such, but is either invisible or visible only under cover of other, nobler or simply blander intentionalities (to educate, to cure, to produce, to defend)” (Miller 17). Reading farther into the character of Sergeant Cuff, however, and allowing oneself to step out of the point of view of Mr. Betteredge and question his opinions an reasons, it is plain that Cuff employs one of these policing powers that do not seem like they are. He does this through manipulation, particularly through playing off of other character’s pride. The best instance of this is when he is leaving the house after the investigation has apparently concluded. Betteredge has spent the entire last couple of chapters completely hating Sergeant Cuff for accusing his mistress Miss Rachel of stealing her own diamond. This is a especially sensitive accusation for Betteredge because of his affection and respect for his employers. However, the Sergeant is able to manipulate Betteredge into liking him despite this. Cuff says to him “I would take to domestic service to-morrow, Mr. Betteredge, if I had a chance of being employed along with You!” (185). By flat out flattering Betteredge, Cuff slides unseen into his good graces and in doing so is able to police him. Mr. Betteredge himself proves this by saying “I own I couldn’t help liking the Sergeant – though I hated him all the time” (186). Cuff has manipulated Betteredge to his advantage.

2 thoughts on “Sergeant Cuff’s Manipulation”

1. This makes me think that with the police present, it caused characters to be more on edge which ultimately made them seem like they were guilty of something. It made Rosanna and Penolope seem like the main suspects but really they were only acting different because they were being watched.

2. I just want to open this by saying that I *love* the phrase “flat out flattering.” I’m not sure why, but it’s just really funny to me. Anyway, now that that’s out of the way, I think you make a really interesting point on manipulation of the law, and how the law can subsequently manipulate others. It offers a very unique perspective on the character of Sergeant Cuff, who would otherwise be seen as just a guy doing his job. Yet, he’s a fairly competent policeman, so it would make sense that, you know, he knows what he’s doing, and how to get on people’s good sides. But what else proves this for us? There have to be other examples, but I have to admit that I’m very curious as to what they are. What other instances in the book can we point to in order to reveal Sergeant Cuff for the streetwise and professional policeman that he evidently is? How would they make him more (or perhaps even less) than just the copy-and-paste trope of “that one really good detective dude called in to find out what happened”?It’s these specifics, I think, that would really help us understand Sergeant Cuff’s character better, as well as more clearly define his place in the book (other than just the usual “policeman called in to investigate”).