Author Bios

Here are my biographies.  Barbara Emerson keeps a low profile, I could only find biographical information for her on the sleeve of one of the books I ordered from ILLIAD.  My bibliography is coming along, although I’m having trouble figuring out exactly which sources to annotate. I think it’s because I’ve always written annotations with the books right in front of me, so this will just take some getting used to. I think I’ve decided to make my topic more focused, which will actually help me collect more sources I think- I’m going to have it be Leopold II’s Imperialism. This way, I can include a lot of sources about the Belgian Congo that I had been previously avoiding out of fear that my historiography would be lopsided… Now the title implies that it will be focused on imperial Belgium, and the focus on the historiography of the Belgian Congo will be more logical.

Jean Stengers was a Belgian historian, specializing in the history of modern Belgian politics.  After studying at the Free University of Brussels, Stengers presented his doctoral thesis on the history of Belgian nationalism. After working as an assistant to Professor Franz Van Kalke, Stengers took over Van Kalke’s entire modern history curriculum in 1951.  In 1954, he was named a professeur ordinaire and in 1967 he was named the director of the seminar of contemporary history.  Stengers’ work, especially that related to Belgian politics, is generally highly respected and well reviewed.

Adam Hochschild is an American journalist-turned-historian whose work mainly deals with issues of human rights.  Currently, Hochschild teaches writing at the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California, Berkeley.  His book King Leopold’s Ghost won the Duff Cooper Prize in Britain, the Mark Lynton History Prize in the US for literary style.

Barbara Emerson received her degree at St. Hilda’s College in Oxford before she began teaching history.  She has written several books on Leopold II’s reign and her biography of him, Leopold II of the Belgians: King of Colonialism has received much praise.

Neal Ascherson is a Scottish historian, educated at Eton and at King’s College, Cambridge who began his career as a journalist before writing as an historian. It wasn’t until 2008 that he abandoned journalism to work as a visiting professor at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London. Throughout his career, though, Ascherson wrote several books, mainly about modern European history such as, The King Incorporated; Leopold II in the Age of Trusts.

One Response to “Author Bios”

1.   osborne Says:

Need a few more dates here and there, Eliza. Context.