Institute for Lifelong Learning Reflection: Stormwater

Event information: Institute for Lifelong Learning, February 5, 12, 26, Bosler Memorial Library, Carlisle, PA

The Alliance for Aquatic Resource Monitoring (ALLARM) was a part of the Institute for Lifelong Learning series this February at Bosler Library. My colleagues and I prepared different activities throughout the month of January for the short course schedule. I led a presentation on stormwater, which was my first presentation on behalf of ALLARM. I was nervous. As I was discussing different types of pollution that stormwater runoff could carry into a nearby stream, I saw that the people who attended the class were interested in the topic. An interesting piece of knowledge that I acquired from my stormwater presentation was about the impact of increasing land development in the west side of downtown Carlisle on stormwater runoff. For the hands-on activity, the main highlight of the stormwater presentation was measuring the conductivity of three water samples and eventually deciding which water samples from different locations were the most conductive. All in all, my first presentation for ALLARM was successful because people learned something about stormwater.

Engaging with community members during the hands-on activity.