stARt

Hi everyone! I’m Ana-Elena Karlova and this summer I will be interning at Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute (MWPAI). MWPAI is located in Utica, NY and has three divisions: Museum of Art, Performing Arts, and School of Art. I will be primarily working at the Museum of Art.

Front View of the Museum of Art MWPAI

My internship started in the end of May and will continue through mid-August. Although the experience is unpaid, MWPAI provided me with free housing. And thanks to Dickinson College, I was able to cover my transportation and meal expenses through the internship grant program.

During the past couple of days I have been adjusting to Utica, the institute, and living on campus, however, the staff at MWPAI made the on-boarding experience both in terms of work and housing as smooth as possible.

I have met most of the staff members and I will be working under several departments over the course of my internship. I am currently assisting the Exhibition Manager and Registrar with the upcoming Sidewalk Art Show in July and with reorganizing document files on several artists from the permanent collection. I was also introduced to the museum’s collection, storage, and database.

Sidewalk Art Show Drop Off
Photo by Carrie Bostick, MWPAI

In the next weeks and months, I will most likely be working on projects with the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art, the Museum Educator for Docent and Tour Programs, the Director of Library Services, and the Director of Development.

As an Art History major, I am extremely excited to get experience in the museum field.

More details about what projects I have completed and will be working on next will be provided in my next post.

Thank you for stopping by and learning more about my internship!

More pictures:

Sidewalk Art Show Drop Off
Photo by Carrie Bostick, MWPAI

Inside the Museum of Art

Next post →

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

2. Do you prefer contemporary or modern art?

• ana-elenak

Hi Ali. I am more interested in Contemporary Art. Thanks for asking!