I started applying to internships in January and continued through mid-April.

After doing some networking, a family friend  suggested applying to MWPAI. I sent all the necessary documents and was invited for an interview. I was very excited.

Afterwards, I received an email with an offer for a full-time summer internship at MWPAI’s Museum of Art. I was walking to class and I couldn’t believe it. I was so happy. I knew that the size of the museum was exactly what I wanted, the ability to move from department to department over the course of my internship was ideal for a first internship in the art world.

In the end things worked out. So if I could give a piece of advice to people looking and applying to internships I would say that it is a rollercoaster. You’ll get rejections–that’s inevitable–but don’t give up because things will work out. Follow your dreams, believe in yourself and don’t worry because fate is doing its job. And at the end you’ll get that offer letter.

And after you receive the offer letter, you still have a lot to do. Figuring out living expenses, transportation and etc. is not going to be easy. Getting adjusted to your internship and not living at home is very hard but with time you get used to it. I had a really hard time transitioning, even harder than when I started at Dickinson. ┬áBut a month later, things were better and I don’t regret any part of this experience. It makes you stronger.

Be open, social, and understanding and you’ll have the best experience in the world!

A watercolor postcard of MWPAI and Genesee Street, Utica

The Stanley Theater in Utica

Just walking around Utica…