Week 2: Commuting and Community

IT HAS BEEN ____ DAYS SINCE ANNA TOOK A WRONG TURN.

(My highest count has been… 1.)

Commuting is one of the newest parts of my internship. It’s about a half hour drive from my house to Manchester, mostly through back roads and farmland. I see cows on the way to work every morning!

Driving is one of those aspects that has been both more difficult and easier than I imagined: finding the office was not too tricky, but navigating a city after a year on campus without a car has been an adventure.

Luckily, I have found sympathy for my driving troubles. My fellow interns (one older, and one younger than myself) also drive to the office twice a week for their shifts. We’ve commiserated about finding parking and worrying that we’ve misremembered where we parked our cars.

It’s also been great to be able to pick their brains for ideas about tackling a paperwork issue, or how to word something in a document, or just for help navigating the office database. We’re a great resource for each other, whether we need a hand with filing or just a tip on where to find information.

If only they could keep me from turning onto the highway when I’m not supposed to…. On Monday, the commuting countdown begins again!