Tue 29 Jan 2008
1 Comment | show comment » | « hide comment
To recap what you should be researching and blogging in regard to your assigned Dickinsonian this week:
1) Go to the Archives and get what you can from the Alumni Directory (remember they’re only open late on Wednesdays and Thursdays – and by “late” I mean 9PM). Keep track of what your person did throughout his career – you’ll need this in later classes.
2) Search Ancestry. Remember to try different forms of your person’s name, if you can, and any possible nicknames.
3) Search Biography and Genealogy Master Index (if you find anything here, search the catalog to see if we own the items referenced) as well as American National Biography online.
4) Do a thorough Google search. Also try the search engine AltaVisa - it is slightly less commercial, and I sometimes find it easier to get at what I’m looking for.
5) Search your person’s name, and then his profession(s) for the time period (use the Advanced Search option) on America: History and Life.
6) If you want to keep going, delve into the New York Times.
Remember to keep very careful track of what you do so that you can find it again, and blog everything you find, as well as how you found it.