Tue 21 Apr 2009
Thesis: Nearly every woman during these early years was either a member or creator of numerous organizations on campus in order to encourage social networking in their search for legitimacy, acceptance, and security in a patriarchial society.
II. Patriarchy Sucks—
• Why didn’t women have legitimacy?- men were threatened by women’s academic excellence
• Why didn’t they have acceptance?- messing up natural order; abnormal: Microcosm, Women excluded from men’s organizations; Housing Segregation, Excluded from library?; Restrictions for women on campus
• Why didn’t they have security?- If you can’t gain legitimacy and acceptance, you are going to be inherently insecure, both physically and emotionally
• The more barriers that were set against women, the harder they fought to overcome them. These women obviously had to be bold in order to not relent to men’s constant oppression.
III. The Female Dickinsonian’s response
• Early Organizations
• Omega Chi
• Pi Beta Phi
• Harman Literary Society→ playful irony of name
• Motivated by exclusion
• Infiltration of Dickinson cultural propaganda – if they can change what people read (Microcosm), they can change the way people think.
o women attempted to reshape the ideology of the culture by controlling the propaganda which proliferated the cultural acceptance of oppression (false consciousness)