Always Learning

As everyone says, “An internship is a great learning experience”. It is true. I learned more about the field, what my interests are, and where my strengths and weaknesses lie throughout this entire experience.

With the end of summer coming fast, I felt it would be nice to make a small list of some of what I have learned this summer. So without further ado, here is a brief list of some of what I have learned.

1.Always be prepared for whats next, but commit yourself for the present

In the field of human-computer interactions and design, there are a limitless number of possibilities. However, there is also a limited amount of time. Being able to commit yourself to a  a few designs to meet deadlines while planning ahead for possible fixes and alterations that can address possible questions and changes in the development cycle is necessary for success.

2. Artificial Intelligence is not going to take over the world

Working in a lab that focuses on making artificial intelligence with compassion and the best traits of what humans possess (rapport, curiosity) has shown me that A.I is not going to take over the world.

3. Always Question

Having the opportunity to go to talks and presentations while doing research at Carnegie Mellon has been a great experience. The one thing always present at these presentations was a continuous amount of questions. Some of the questions can seem quite “harsh” with direct remarks of what did not work or did not make sense in the presentation. These direct, difficult questions are never perceived here as harsh at Carnegie Mellon. Instead they act as a point of continuous conversation that result in great mutual development between the speaker and the audience.

4. Spend time Debriefing

Taking time directly after a meeting to review your notes from the meeting and coming up with what your main take away from the meeting are is crucial! Always be planning your next steps.