Emily rightly requested via the facebook that I explain my title! Allow me to do so:

A long time ago, a German dude named Hans Staden found his way onto (I’m going off memory here, so, Carolina, this is the real test of my study skills!) a Spanish ship to the coast of Brazil. By and by, he was shipwrecked and was working with the French (who at that time were competing with the Portuguese and Dutch for control of the region, with its valuable trade in “Pau do Brasil” (or Brazil Wood – useful for its dye!!). Hans ole boy gets shipwrecked and captured by the Tupiniquins (try saying it: Too-pee-kneeng-keensh), a tribe living on the Brazilian coast. Hans is initially slated to be murdered and eaten, but he is somewhat adopted by the tribe and, in a 16th-century prelude to Stockholm syndrome/cultural anthropology, he even begins to identify with them. The telltale sign? In the account he later publishes, called “Two Voyages to Brazil,” he switches from first-person singular to first-person PLURAL after he spends some time with our friends the Tupiniquins.

In the 1970s (60s?) in Brazil, a movie of the account was produced called “Como gostoso era o meu francês” or, “How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman.” Cool title right? The Tupiniquins were allied with the French (while the Tupinambá, the competing tribal group, allied with the Portuguese) and so Hans Staden used a little bit of subterfuge to keep himself alive, convincing the Tupiniquins that he was French, not Portuguese.

Thus, in an homage to this movie, and to Hans Staden, I allude to it in the title of this blog.

Hopefully I won’t get eaten.

Facebook Twitter Email

Comments

1 Comment so far

1.    Emily F. on July 2, 2012 21:49

Muito obrigada pela explicação! Se precisa de mais ideas, me diga. :)

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

Social links powered by Ecreative Internet Marketing