A closer look

October 9, 2012 | | Leave a Comment

Let me give you a little more insight into these pictures. I’ve highlighted some features that I find interesting and that you might not necessarily notice if you haven’t been here for a while, or aren’t gifted with observation skills superior to my own (you probably are!).

Starting with the arrows:

The blue arrow, in the upper left hand corner, is pointing to a waste receptacle with coloration that is repeated throughout the city. Even in my building, the four compartments for paper, plastic, glass, and aluminum. I won’t tell you what colors correspond to which recyclable material because, as I said before, I ‘m not that observant.

The red arrow is pointing to a one of the men who sweeps trash from the street. I am not sure of the formal job name, either in English or in Portuguese. Leaves and cigarette butts accumulate in all the city’s crevices and sidewalk drainage canalinhos, which are crucial to providing drainage in this precipatitive city. Of course, it hasn’t rained with any great frequency since I’ve got here, which is unseasonable weather. The most effective sweeper I’ve seen used a broom fashioned from palm fronds to sweep up cigarette butts from the cracks between bricks near PUC.

The yellow (or green?) arrow is pointing to banana trees. They grow here, and banana bunches dangle off of them. In Ubatuba, the lady who owned the bed and breakfast we stayed at grew her own bananas outside her house. I suspect that here in the centro, which has a high population of homeless, the bananas are either quickly eaten or removed by the authorities.

Circles:

The man I’ve circled on the left hand side of the picture is wearing a Corinthianos shirt. The Corinthians soccer team is the most popular team in São Paulo, and their fans are notoriously dedicated and rowdy. Books could be written about soccer in Brazil (and they have been), and volumes more could be stuffed with anecdotes, studies, and stories about the Corinthianos and their fans. I just wanted to highlight that even in this semi-random photo, the team is representin’.

You can tell the richer areas of the city by the amount of trees that are in them. Though this plaza, the Praça de Pedro Lassa isn’t a wealthy area, the trees are certainly a welcome relief to the honeycomb of concrete that surround them.

No particular reason for this photo, other than to profess yet again how much I love the metro.

I would just like to point out the difference between graffiti and street art. Street art is generally a composition that incorporates symbolism and presents visual commentary. Graffiti, like the kind at the top of the yellow building in the lower left hand corner, is more like a marker to say “hey, I’m here!!” While I find streetart more visually interesting, graffiti impresses me for the bold, precarious locations of its surfaces.

This is a “skyline closeup” from the top of the Martinelli building. At the top of the image, note the antennae. These are visible from the mountains that ring the city, but aren’t useful guideposts within it.

Facebook Twitter Email

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

Social links powered by Ecreative Internet Marketing