The Authentic Italian Table

Last week was the first of the three main events that I will help plan throughout my internship, The Authentic Italian Table!  The three-day food expo features a total of 15 renowned Italian restaurants in the Chicago area as well as various food and wine sponsors.  The event aligns with the True Italian Taste Project to showcase  authentic Italian ingredients imported directly from Italy.

I began working with my co-workers on this event at the start of my internship through writing social media posts and a press release, as well as communicating with participating restaurants, sponsors, and musicians.  It was wonderful to see everything turn out so successfully this past week.  We had over 300 people attend the event across all three days and everyone seemed to enjoy the food, the music, and the company.  I was mainly in charge of greeting and checking guests in at the door but still had the chance to meet new people and taste the delicious food from some of Chicago’s best Italian restaurants.

My favorite part of the event (besides eating all of the great food) was being able to work alongside Luciana, who works at Ciao Chicago and is my new language partner!  She and I have agreed to meet once a week to practice my Italian and her English.   She and her family are from Bologna, Italy and were telling me all about the city when I informed them that I’ll be studying abroad there next semester.  She and I speak mostly Italian and while it is challenging at times, she is very encouraging of me as I am with her English.

Tortelloni di ricotta from 312 Chicago
My sister Ally was able to come to the event with me
The photobooth featured many of the authentic Italian products used by the restaurants
Me as “the bouncer” in charge of greeting guests, checking them in on the event app, and answering any and all questions people had upon arrival.

There are two more events happening in June and I am looking forward to being a part of them!