I had a very tame week because out of my two primary task-givers, one was away at a cover shoot for the magazine in Minnesota, and the other was moving her location within the office (Food Network Magazine is moving into the other half of our floor next week).  But, one aspect of the week that I am reflecting on the most is color.  Obviously, colors play an important role at an interior design magazine.  It’s no surprise that I have to work a lot with different schemes when I’m doing research for a story or project.  I’ll also often have to color-match certain wall colors or products by finding the exact shade and code in our paint books.  This can get tricky because once I find several different colors that match the paint in a photo, for example, it takes some time and concentration to decide the closest match between very subtle differences such as slight gray undertone.  For stories where we have to credit the paints we use (which is pretty much all of them), we create paint sheets (such as the one pictured below) that will give the art department the information they need to make sure that colors come out exactly as they should.  They also help give the reader the info they need if they want to copy our projects.  When I find the exact shade I am supposed to match or find the exact paint we used in a DIY project we constructed, I either have to cut out a sample from a palette book or paint my own palettes for paint sheets.

A first draft paint sheet

A first draft paint sheet

My involvement with so many different hues this last few weeks has started to follow me outside of the office.  The other day when I got on the subway to my (internship grant-sponsored) apartment, the first thing I thought of when I looked at the seats across from me on the A train was that they looked just like a page of a paint sample fan deck.

If only the subway were always this empty

If only the subway was always this empty

Even in all the advertisements around me, I’ll notice the ones that stand out to me and note the colors used. Colors are important for every single profession, not just for work inside a styling magazine.  I’m becoming more and more conscious of how so many of my decisions are based off of visual aesthetics: what book I pull off the shelf at the bookstore to read the back, what snacks I pick out at the drug store, how engaged I am while skimming online articles.  It doesn’t have to just be about how colorful something is, but how colors are used together and in conjunction with style and content.  All the time I’ve taken at this internship really analyzing subtle differences between shades has made me more conscious of how important colors can be to how people subconsciously interpret what’s around them.