Thursday, September 7th, 2017...7:38 pmpierrec

10 Things I Noticed About “The Lake Isle of Innisfree”

1. “I will arise and go now” (opening phrase) suggests a rebirth or reclaim, a change of direction in life
2. (Majority) of the poem doesn’t rhyme and has no meter
3. The poem mentions times of the day after noon, “there midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow, and evening full of the linnet’s wing”
4. Many images and references to nature
5. “I shall have some peace there,” implies that the speaker can not find peace at home or where he is based and makes clear that at “home,” peace is hard to find
6. Within the last stanza of the poem, the opening line is repeated
7. Told in first person
8. The last stanza has an ABAB rhyme
9. The last stanza rhymes to acoustically portray a sing-songy feel, as well as the “fantasy” of the place (Innisfree) and how the speaker can go there any time in his mind
10. “I hear it in the deep heart’s core,” implying that Innisfree continues to exist inside of him and that is where he finds his peace

• I think your first point of observation is incredibly interesting. Especially knowing that the speaker does not arise and go as he plans, it is almost as if, at first, this rebirth or reclaiming does not happen. However, your last point shows that he finds Innisfree in himself. Maybe the second time he says he will go is the transition from this rebirth he yearns for to an actual rebirth despite not being at Innisfree. This moment is when he claims Innisfree to have almost become a part of himself.

• I really like your 4th and 7th points. I think it’s very interesting that Yeats talks about nature and animals numerous times in this poem. I like how you noticed that Yeats speaks in the first person. This suggests that Yeats is talking about himself and how he finds comfort and solitude with nature.
    -Graham

September 12th, 2017 at 1:01 am

Good start to the blog, Chelsea-Mia. Having heard WBY read the poem / discussed the poem in class on Friday, do you have more of a sense of the rhyme scheme and rhythm of the poem. They’re unusual, but not absent (as your later points pick up, in contrast to the earlier ones).