Thursday, October 5th, 2017...8:28 pmstruzena

Lily’s Thoughts

I say, it was quite a strange encounter I had with Mr. Conroy this evening. I haven’t seen him in quite some time and he’s much more particular and peculiar than I recalled. A bit nosy too I might I add!

I was taking off his coat and gave my usual greeting to the guests, “Is it snowing again, Mister Con-ner-roy?” I placed it on the coat rack. He was dressed so finely this evening. What was with that rubbery covering on his boots, however? It looked like a sock worn on the outside of the shoe! Ever since I was little he’s paid attention to the little details and the specific fashions. Our small polite talk continued to carry on. I was growing impatient with the conversation; I had so much to prepare for the evening concert! He then proceeded to ask me about my wedding day! There was snow on the floor, and Freddy had still not arrived and he asked me about my wedding day! A topic that I do not generally favor anyway, but given the fervor in which I was working he should have assumed I would not have the slightest bit of time to retort to him with a thoughtful answer.

“The men that is now is only all palaver and what they can get out of you,” I told him back and began heading for the stairs. I regret the shortness of my tone, but the combination of my growing responsibilities around the house with my already bitter mood on the subject in general, did not create a very polite response I suppose. I hope I did not offend him too much!

p. 154-155, Lily’s thoughts on Mr. Conroy’s personal question of when she will marry.

• This is a perfect recounting of Lily’s thoughts and her interaction with Gabriel, I can see it. I wonder though, how old do you make Lily to be? Based off the tone of this blog I would suggest that she is no more than 17 years of age, she seems to be a very naive character.

October 11th, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Leah–Nice post. Building on Quadrese”s point, your work here sounds to me almost like a teenage girl’s diary entry, in which she’s both reporting and assessing not only someone else’s behavior, but her own response to it.