Monday, December 4th, 2017...9:43 pmserlemip

Final Project Introduction and Thesis Draft

The Harlem Renaissance and the Celtic Revival movements explore race through literature and art. As students in the United States during the 21st century, we are often unaware of the racialized nature of the Celtic Revival texts, and we tend to over simplify the aspects of race in Harlem Renaissance literature. As Matthew Frye Jacobson’s introduction to Whiteness of a Different Color and Kwame Anthony Appiah’s essay, “Race” discuss, the evolution of the Celt throughout the history of Ireland and the mass migration of Irish immigrants to the United States has diminished the racial identity of the Celt. The slow degradation of the Celt as a race has made it harder for students in the 21st century to recognize the racialized aspects of Celtic Revival literature. As such, I have included in this anthology a variety of genres from both the Celtic Revival and the Harlem Renaissance to inform my readers of this racial aspect of Celtic Revival texts and to provide more ways to view race in literature from the Harlem Renaissance. By looking that the Harlem Renaissance and Celtic Revival in tandem, aspects used to read and analyze essays, prose, and poems written during the Harlem Renaissance, will help readers to identify and analyze the racial nature of Celtic Revival texts, and what it meant for the Celtic Revival writers to have texts that focused on the Celt as a race itself. This will also help to provide a deeper analysis of race in Harlem Renaissance texts. My goal in forming and organizing this anthology is twofold; I aim to help my readers complicate race in Harlem Renaissance texts, and I hope to reintroduce and situate race in Celtic Revival literature.

Question: What ideas about race in Celtic Revival or Harlem Renaissance literature would you like/expect to see in the rest of my final paper based on this introduction?

•   Aliya Nichols
    December 7th, 2017 at 4:33 am

I love how you have set up such an interesting comparison of race and have discovered that the Celt is a race. For the rest of your paper you may want to consider including how the progression of civil rights is depicted throughout the HR texts. Notice how the literature written by African Americans shows steps towards equality in the field of writing. Look for small steps of progression and regression in racism, segregation and injustice. By looking at the Weary Blues you can see the impact music has on culture and how culture has strong ties to race. You can also consider looking at The Playboy of the Western World and how it defines Irish culture.

•   Alexis Wiggins
    December 8th, 2017 at 6:32 am

As I myself was confused when we first read that Irish was considered a race, I think the idea for your anthology is very beneficial. It’s interesting because the Harlem Renaissance is hyper-racialized due to the history of slavery and segregation of the untied states, but in the Celtic Revival it’s sometimes not even obvious that the Irish were considered another race. Another interesting part of your idea that you could touch on is how has the idea of race changed from the Celtic revival to Harlem and even to now? I see it as becoming, especially in the new racism, as non whites being viewed differently, but all whites are grouped together, unlike in the Celtic Revival. Overall, great job!

December 8th, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Phoebe–we’ve talked quite recently, so let me just echo your peers and say this focus is great AND remind you to trust your out-of-order (so to speak) writing process experiment with this paper.