Final Anthology Paper

I want to base the subject of my anthology on the idea of conflict within the Celtic revival and the Harlem Renaissance, and primarily how this conflict influences the two movements.  I first got this idea when thinking of the group that published the magazine Fire!!, and how their views represented a beg shift in the Harlem renaissance. I also thought of the playboy riots that occurred after the first performances of The Playboy of the Western World. The riots, which were caused in large part due to the older generation and their fear of breaking off against Britain, signaled a change in how Irish literature was portrayed and accepted in the larger world of literature. I think that this conflict also relates to the topic of Minor Literature that we covered at the beginning of the semester. One of the three factors that define a minor literature, according to Deleuze and Guattari is that they are inherently political. They write that “its cramped space forces each individual intrigue to connect immediately to politics” (17). Because of this, there are bound to be discrepancies in the political views of many of the writers from both movements, which led to many of the conflicts that developed. Overall I want to see how these conflicts influenced and changed both the Celtic Revival and the Harlem Renaissance.

This entry was posted in Experiment with P.O.V.. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Final Anthology Paper

1. Professor Seiler says:

Hi, Sam–Am I understanding correctly that you want to focus on *generational* conflict as it drives/changes the course of the CR/HR? A good idea, to be sure, but I want to remind you here that you don’t have to make generational conflict follow the same trajectory or create the same effects in both movements. I don’t yet see how the idea of “minor literature” (per Deleuze and Guattari) connects to generational conflict, but I’m happy to talk with you about it anytime.