Fine berg reading by Amanda Dobbin

After reading Fineberg’s article about Minimal art and the various artists that contributed to this movement, I found a few aspects of Frank Stella’s work and description of his work extremely intriguing. Something that especially stood out to me was when Stella asked Carl Andre to write his artist’s statement. As stated, “Art excludes the unnecessary. Frank Stella has found it necessary to paint stripes.” With this said, I find Andre’s comment interesting because I have never thought of art in this way. Obviously, one only includes the things they want and even though Stella produces very simple and geometic/linear shapes in his works, it is only what he wanted to include and therefore the viewer should view it that way as well. This concept I feel is more meaningful than concepts in for example Andy Warhol’s art which was discussed in class. In addition to this, Andre states “…Stella’s painting is not symbolic,” meaning that even though the stripes were placed on the flag for a purpose, they are extremely neutral and that in itself tells the viewer a lot about Stella as an artist. Compared to the various other artists mentioned in the article, I specifically liked Stella because of the idea of that “only what can be seen there is there” and thus, forced me to view the flag only as a flag due to this lack of expression but still displaying a meaningful purpose.