Broude and Garrard Introduction : Becky Deihl

The feminist art movement is not really one I’ve ever studied. In 102, you hear about Judy Chicago, her Dinner Party table settings, and the Woman House. It’s never been much more than those two works and a single artist for me. Just reading over the Broude and Garrard introduction, I’m finding out about a lot more of female artists I haven’t heard about before. Going into this, I also expected all the women mentioned to be huge advocates for feminist art. Many seemed very hesitating about the movement actually. In the 1950s through the 60s, it seemed like many of the women just wanted to be accepted as artists more than anything else. Before then, they had simply been known as wives, helpers, or inspiration for male artists.

Because they were women, gender became a huge topic of discussion about their art. Questions that had never been asked before were aimed at these women because, or it seems to me, they were women. Eva Hesse is a great example the introduction gives, when she was asked if her works were gender based at any point. That wasn’t a question to men before. I find it curious of how women were treated differently even in the art world.