Recipe For Climate Change

images-1

Upon hearing the phrase “climate change” most people would then associate it with the emissions from gas-guzzling Hummers. What they don’t realize is whether you drive a Hummer, a Prius, or ride a bike, as humans we are all contributing to climate change.. three times a day actually, starting with breakfast, lunch, and dinner (dessert counts too!) While the transportation sector might be thought as being the most detrimental to climate change, in reality it is the food sector that is the most responsible for greenhouse gas emissions leading to global warming. In fact, livestock alone contributes to more GHG emissions than the worlds TOTAL transportation emissions. People have heard the whole “reduce, reuse, recycle” as a common guide to solving the climate crisis, however they are unaware of another way to lessen climate change.. starting right from our dinner plates. Greenhouse gasses are involved in every step of the food sector: production, processing, distribution, consumption, and waste– we are all guilty of that! With the entire process of food production being hidden from the modern eater it is no wonder why it is commonly forgotten to be seen as a HUGE contributor to global warming. In her book, Diet For A Hot Planet, Anna Lappe maps out a recipe for change in seven principles to follow in order to have a climate-friendly diet. 1. Eat Real/Whole Foods 2. Fill your plate with plants 3. Go Organic 4. Go Local 5. Eliminate your food waste 6. Consider packaging 7. DIY Food. This seems like an easy enough recipe to follow, and it certainly is beneficial to not only the planet’s health but our individual health as well, so why hasn’t this recipe for change caught on by all producers and consumers?

2 Replies to “Recipe For Climate Change”

1. I became vegetarian about two months ago, BEFORE reading Diet For a Hot Planet. It was insightful for me to read and become more knowledgeable about everything that goes into producing food that you listed, from production to distribution to waste. After reading Lappe’s work, I have to say that I honestly do think about everything I consume, beforehand. The most significant change I have taken on in my eating habits since reading this book, is consuming MUCH less packaged foods. Did Lappe’s work effect any of your eating habits?

1. So I have always been pretty health conscious but I never really questioned where my food was coming from. But once I became aware of what actually goes on during food production I was shocked. I felt that consumers were basically being lied to through false advertising and this hidden process that occurs. It actually makes me so angry to think about!! After I studied abroad in Costa Rica I became very interested in sustainable living/eating and began to modify my diet. Over the summer I was working for a company that makes all natural food products (gluten free, dairy free, sugar free), which got me even more in touch with eating close to my roots. So Lappe’s work has only furthered my knowledge surrounding my eating habits and the effects that food production has on climate change. (I’m also kind of obsessed with anything related to sustainable clean eating so I’ve watched numerous documentaries and read lots of literature on the subject!) If your interested in any further reading let me know I can send you suggestions!