Today was my first day at Crossroads Campaigns as an intern.

I started the day off in a panic, I was so nervous I couldn’t eat breakfast and spent an hour picking out my outfit. The ride on the metro took less time than expected and before I knew it, it was 11:00 am and I began my new journey into adulthood.

I always overthink things and worry over things that turn out to be okay. I know this about myself, and yet, this problem continues to plague me. The minute I walked into the building, I was fine. All of the other staff members were welcoming and helpful. My fellow intern was nice and and made me feel less alone. I was given lots of training and was told that I could always ask if I was confused and I was left feeling very confident that I could do the work that was ahead of me.

I knew that interning at a consulting firm that shared my values would be a wonderful experience, but I still was filled with dread and panic that the fellow employees wouldn’t like me. I am happy to report that this was not the case and I am excited to continue my summer there.

My advice to other interns starting out in a new internship would be to not worry about the job. Take it seriously, of course, you are there to do important work. But don’t fill yourself up with doubt right before you start the job. It won’t make you feel good going into a new experience that could lead to a future career. Have confidence that you are in that internship because you deserve to be and you are qualified enough and the rest will work itself out in the end.

May 28, 2019