It’s been a while since I last posted so I decided to come back and write a little bit about my search process for finding an internship.

To be honest, it is a really frustrating and long process. I applied to 30 jobs last summer and only heard back from one, and it was a rejection. So to say I was crushed is an understatement.

Since I knew I wanted to be in DC for this summer, my counselor at school told me to apply to at least 50 jobs since the field was so competitive. So that’s what I did. I kept a spreadsheet of all the jobs I was applying for and the deadlines for applying to all of them.

The jobs paid off to an extent. I got several offers to interview and even more rejections than before. I know you’re told to not take the rejections personally, but it can be hard when they come one after another in formation.

So my advice for getting an internship is as follows:

1. Apply to A LOT. Like A LOT! I would recommend making a spreadsheet to keep track of them all
  2. If you get a rejection, take time to be upset about it, and then move on. It is that places’ loss, not yours
  3. Always send a thank-you email after you are interviewed by someone. It will help them remember you and make you stand out
  4. When you do get a job, take some time to make sure it is the right fit for you before accepting

Other than that, fate rests in your hands. So keep your head held high and good luck!

July 29, 2019