In the last week of my internship, I have been reflecting  a lot on what I learned from the internship and what I will take with me in my future careers.

The first important skill I learned is how to ask questions and that it is okay to ask them. I think the pressure in jobs sometimes is to seem like you know how to do everything, even if you don’t, and to not ask questions about how to do something. I think that is a bad and unhealthy habit and it should be encouraged in our society to ask questions, especially if you are confused about something. That is something I made sure to practice during my internship. I am not an expert on most things so if I don’t understand something, I should ask questions so I don’t mess up the task in the future. This is an important lesson I will take with me in my future academic and professional career.

The second important skill I learned is how to write emails that will be send out to a large group of people and how to convey important and urgent messages within those emails. In this digital age, most of the messaging people do is on social media and through emails. The skill of communications is an important and urgent skill so I am glad that I was able to expose myself to that and practice it.

The final skill I will take away from this internship is my ability to work with other people. Everyone has their role in a job and that is what they are expected to do to help the company run smoothly. However, it is also important to be able to work well with your other co-workers because that also helps the business succeed. I can say with confidence that I worked very well with my colleagues and I enjoyed their company and their insight. I love that everyone brings a different voice to the table that helps shape the job in certain ways.

I am very lucky that I was able to get funding from school and live in DC and work at this internship. I learned a lot and I am ready for whatever steps come next.

August 15, 2019