»
S
I
D
E
B
A
R
«
Week 3
June 6th, 2013 by danettem

This week again was a bit shorter as I was asked to return to Dickinson on Sunday and Monday to help work on the Sport Club Council. I was able to assist in writing the Sport Club Handbook, Constitution and Bylaws. While I know this doesn’t pertain to my internship it is still an exciting experience for me and it’s a pretty cool feeling to know that I am helping shape and change policy at Dickinson. But at my internship this week it became a more informative and educational week. My boss Jenn was at a National Council meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday and that left me under the direction of some of the other staffers for those days. I watched some important webinars that Jenn had sent me, and I continued to read the handbook binder on the Standards of Excellence®. I also continued developing a video project as part of PANO’s conference wrap up. On Thursday I was asked if I would like to sit on a webinar by Hildy Gottleib who is giving a presentation on Sustainability (how very Dickinson of her!). She talked about the longevity of nonprofits and how they can be sustainable with the materials they have. She takes questions and flips them on their head and asking not “What do we need?” but “What do we have and how can it be used to meet the needs of the nonprofit?” There was also a staff meeting held with the new interim Executive Director and I found this to be very educating. His leadership style is very animated. He is very aware of how is he presenting information and encouraging and inclusive of all the staff members. He talked about servant leadership as a way this organization functions and he wants to be sure that this culture stays the same here at PANO. I hope someday in the future I can find a company that is organized this way as it seems to promote such a healthy work environment.  Overall, this was an exceptionally educational week, I can only imagine how much more I am going to continue to learn.