The Valiant Virtuoso

The story of an Advertising intern at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Never forget these two words…

As I approach the end of my ninth week at the Kennedy Center, I can’t help but reflect on the information that I have learned, the friendships that I have made, and the eye-opening experiences that have prompted me to feel. When I moved to Washington D.C. two months ago, I never expected just how much I would learn this summer—from how to write copy for emails, to discovering what it means to conceptualize, write, build, and route print pieces for theater, ballet, and the national symphony orchestra, and so much more.

That said, I would be remiss if I did not dedicate a post to specifically address the many reasons I am thankful for this summer internship opportunity. After all, none of these extraordinary things would have happened had it not been for the many individuals in my life.

Thank you, my dear readers (including my family and friends), for following me throughout this journey—for encouraging me to do my best work, for inspiring me with your insightful messages, and for always empowering me to take pride in the projects that I undertake. This internship experience would not be nearly as valuable or edifying if you were not by my side showing your support. That said, I can’t wait to see and hear about the amazing things that you accomplish, whether that be a summer internship, a job opportunity, or so forth. We are going to do amazing things—together.

Thank you to my supervisors at the internship site—especially Olivia, Bannon, Lily, and Becca—for educating me on the ins-and-outs of advertising in a nonprofit, arts and cultural organization. In addition, thank you for providing me with constructive feedback that has not challenged me to become a more effective writer, but has empowered me to become a more successful communicator. The skills that I have learned from you—whether that be marketing strategy, copywriting, strategic communication, and leadership—will follow me throughout my lifetime, informing what I do on a daily basis. I’ll always remember being under your direction, supervision, and leadership.

[I will be inserting a photo here of my remarkable team, so please stay tuned!]

Thank you to the Dickinson Internship Notation Program for providing me with the opportunity of a lifetime. When I applied for the Kennedy Center’s Advertising Communications internship back in March 2018, I never fully thought the opportunity would come to fruition. However, because of this program, and because of the generous donors who contribute to the Rosenwasser Skalak Internship Fund, my dreams of working in a performing arts center are literally a reality. Not everyone has the privilege to say that, so thank you for helping me achieve my childhood aspiration. To Amity and Nate, thank you for your thoughtful tips and recommendations on how to make the most out of an internship experience, and for constantly encouraging me to stop and reflect on what it is that I am learning. I would not have grown as much as I have throughout this experience without you.

Thank you to my incredible professors at Dickinson, especially Professor Kersh, Professor Menon, Professor Skalak, and Professor Wlodarski for sharing your research and scholarship with me. Most of all, thank you for inspiring me to care about the work that I do. The passion that you hold for your craft is unparalleled. I hope to be a source of inspiration to others, encouraging them to care and take pride in their own work. On another note, thank you for helping me become a more sophisticated, thoughtful, and critical thinker and writer. It is because of these skills that landed me the internship in the first place. That said, I would not be typing on my laptop here in D.C. without you, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

****

Amity and Nate, thank you for encouraging me to stop and reflect. Often times, I find myself so caught up in the heat of the moment that I forget to pause and appreciate where I am. To be honest, I find myself waiting for the next moment without fully embracing the present—the now. But from this moment forward, I am going to wholeheartedly welcome and wrap my arms around the moment. My dear readers, I challenge you to do the same. We are going to do wonderful things.

After all, we already are.

Image result for thank you gif dog

Next Post

Previous Post