My name is David Blosser and I am a rising senior at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Here, I am majoring in English with minors in Film & Media Studies and Music. However, I also have coursework in business administration, economics, Spanish language and culture, and others—one of the many reasons I will always champion a liberal arts education. For the summer of 2018, I have the incredible opportunity of serving as an Advertising Communications intern at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (please check out the page entitled “home/blogs” to learn more about my role and responsibilities!)

My favorite part about my major in English literature is the fact that I have the opportunity to read stories and think critically about them. I especially love identifying and comprehending character motivations. For example, why is it that Frodo wants to take the ring to Mordor in The Lord of the Rings? Why is this ring so special? That is exactly what we are doing in Advertising— not necessarily writing about LotR, but understanding our audiences’ motivations. What is it that drives their desires and interests? And then, how can we create compelling copy in ways that engage our consumers and drive participation?

As an individual with a deep passion for the performing arts (it began when listening to the music of Julie Andrews at about three years old!), my ultimate goal is to enter into a career where I can ensure the strength of artistic and cultural institutions and use effective management techniques to address the complex technological, social, and political changes affecting the industry. At the Kennedy Center, I identify and evaluate issues such as cultural policy, public funding, and audience engagement (among other matters) in a way that demands creative solutions. I’m so happy to be here.

Please reach out if you have any questions, are searching for advice, or just want to talk! I’d love to hear from you!

David Blosser photo