Hello all! We’ve had a busy summer so far here at CSE. We’ve done a bunch of projects and have a lot more work to do before the summer is done. A lot of the work we’ve been doing has been focused on biking or beekeeping. Here are some of the projects we’ve been working on and general happenings related to biking.
1. Biking everywhere! My apartment mates and I are lucky to all have bikes on campus and they’ve been so helpful for getting around campus and Carlisle. We bike to work every morning, Giant for groceries, and even to Project Share on Fridays to pick up our Dickinson College Farm CSA box (with the help of our bike carrier pictured here).
2. Updating our Campus Sustainability Map with where all the bike racks and bike pumps are on campus. We’ve been moving these around so they are as useful as possible. Check it out!
3. Summer Handlebar open hours! The Handlebar, Dickinson’s bike co-op, is open every Wednesday this summer from 4-6 PM (for July 4th week it will be open on Thursday, July 5th). If you’re also on campus stop by!
4. Renewing our Bicycle Friendly University Certification. In 2014 we received a silver Bicycle Friendly University designation award. Being a Bicycle Friendly University means that we have worked to make our campus more bike accessible and have had access to free tools and resources to help with this. Additionally, we have a Bicycle Advisory Council that is charged with making Dickinson and the Carlisle community more bike-friendly.
5. Check out Dickinson’s new partnership with Cole’s Bicycles called Shop & Ride. Cole’s is a family-owned bicycle shop that has been in Carlisle since 1940. This new program lets you order a bike, helmet, lock, and other accessories online before August 1st and have it ready to be picked up from Cole’s by the time you get to campus in the fall.
Hope everyone is having a great summer and staying cool!
CSE Summer Sustainability Projects Intern