MY VERY OWN TREE FRIEND

tree2tree1

On Friday September 12th I met my tree for the very first time. My tree is a European beech tree. It is located on the right side of Dickinson College’s acidmic quad (if you are facing old west). It is not native to the Carlisle area but dose well here. This tree in particular has been thriving on campus for a long time and isn’t the only one on the quad. European beech trees are often used for landscaping. They have a wide mulch circle, and low hanging branches, making it a perfect spot for people to sit and enjoy the shade. The overall tree has an oval shaped breach span. European beech trees have smooth leafs and their bark is often described looking and feeling like elephant hide. Beech trees drop nuts, in cased in a hard shells, theses make great snacks for small furry friends like squirrels. FUN FACT: European beech trees need very aerated soil. An arborist discovered that the things, that the U.S. Military invented during the Vietnam era, for detecting land mines under ground is also great for aerating roots. It is gentle enough to not harm the roots (or explosives) but leaves air pockets that are important to the tree that aren’t natrul to this area.

ABOUT MISS SANDY The minuet I saw my tree I knew she was a girl. I named her sandy for obvious reasons, her being a beech tree and all. I liked this tree because of her low hanging branches and their wide circomfranace. It looked like the kind of tree I would have played under as a kid. The leaves are thick and dark, creating a cool shade under it. The day we toured the trees, it was very hot, Sandy was a nice tree to stand under. When it starts to get cold I think her colors will change beautifully. Can’t wait! -Maggie Dougherty