History of my Tree

15 years ago, something special happened. It was a warm day in May, not a cloud in the sky. It was no ordinary day for the Dickinson arborist. He didn’t realize it at the time, but he had just planted what was going to be one of the most beautiful trees on campus. Though a slow grower, by age one, she was already a proud 2 feet tall. She struggled early on because she was an only child. She has never met her parents and was left alone to fend for herself. But this only made her stronger. Large winds came and went and molded her into a character. Though she sometimes swayed back and forth, my tree always managed to straighten herself out when she needed to. By the age of 10, she had already grown about 12 feet. She had made friends with other orphans that had been planted under her. She was like a mother to these young plants and often gave up water in order to feed them. I think the fact that she does not need much water to live tells us a lot about her personality.

November 2012 was a rough time for my tree. Struck hard by Hurricane Sandy many of her friends died due to the wretched winds. She herself almost collapsed but her roots dug in deep and her trunk held strong. This was a turning point in her life. Surviving Sandy was a sign that she was destined to be great! By 2015 she was a shocking 7 meters tall. She was lonely though. When I met Isabel (my tree) she was working hard to get her life back together.

I realized I had to spend time with her and help her achieve greatness. Everyday since I have met her, I see her mentally growing. The dirt under her is starting to mold to the shape of my butt, because she does often give me shade, similar to the Giving Tree.