Introducing Earnest

Today I decided to go visit my tree from a purely physical stance, I also decided to name my tree Earnest.
From a distance this tree is fairly impressive, bearing down on us from a height of approximately 40-50ft this giant London Plane tree is a hybrid sharing its genes with the American Sycamore tree. It seems to have grown in a way conducive to the presence of the road and through-traffic, with its two largest and lowest hanging branches stretching parallel to the road. However it definitely has a slight lean over the footpath beneath lending some of its weight to the concrete wall running down West High Street and providing some shelter and protection to pedestrians. Its branches spread in every direction to form a maximum width of roughly 40ft, it looks like a very good tree to climb if I can make it past the first 20ft.

The first thing I noticed about this tree was its inconsistency in texture and color scheme. At the base of the tree the color is a scattered mixture ranging from dark green to light brown, however the texture is by far the most impressive. There are hundreds of small pieces of bark peeling off of the tree trunk like a giant snake getting rid of its old scales in preparation for a harsh winter. There a multiple patches of green moss growing near ground level, especially where the tree meets the concrete wall. There are dozens of ball-like knots dotted around the tree trunk up to about head height. They range in size from a golf ball to some as large as a tennis ball.

When I am cold, I shiver

When you are cold, you shed

When I am warm, I sweat

When you are warm, you blossom

When I am wet, I dry

When you are wet, you absorb

When I am tired, I sleep

When you are tired, you droop

When I stumble, I pick myself up

When you stumble, no one is there to help

When I cut myself, I heal

When someone cuts you, you don’t.

In this above photo I feel as though a face can be made out from underneath all the knotted wood-balls.

The higher up my eyes travel the lighter tone my tree takes on. This is due to many factors including that my tree often changes color schemes depending on its environment and the quality of the surrounding air. This particular species is very good at cleaning out toxins and particulate matter that has been absorbed into the atmosphere. According to our own landscapers; that is why in Carlisle these trees should become a priority because as we all know, the average air quality in Carlisle is poor when compared to many other areas in Pennsylvania let alone other states.