Celebrating 20 years

In 1995, KD’s seed was planted just to the right of the Stern patio. She has seen many generations, two decades to be exact, of Dickinson students and faculty pass by, either walking into or out of Stern, out of East College or Old West, or walking home towards West Louther Street.

Like me, she grew up in her early years as just a small plant with the influences of Blues Clues and other Nickelodeon tv shows. It was really great to be young in the 90s. Disney movies thrived, and a new era of pop-music was born. Lucky for me, KD and I got to experience it all together –we just didn’t know one another.

When she was just two years old, the beloved Princess Diana of Wales died in a tragic car crash. This is news that completely shocked the world, but both KD and I were too young to comprehend at the time. Something positive that happened in 1997 was the publication of the first Harry Potter novel, written by J.K. Rowling. This was also a big year in my life because it was the year that my only brother was born. A year later, when KD was three, the movie Titanic became the most successful movie ever, and U.S. President Clinton was impeached. Still too young to understand these major events in history, KD continued to grow in peace in her perfect patch of soil. I was still staying at home with my dad, because he was a stay-at-home dad with my brother and me.

The turn of the millenium brought not only more memorable events but also more life-changing ones. Perhaps the most terrible event of the 2000’s came in 2001, when on September 11th the United States was the target of a devastating terrorist attack. KD was surrounded by a community deeply saddened by the amount of loss from which the world had suffered. I know that I was in 2nd grade at the time, and I was sent home early from school that morning. My mom had to drive home from Missouri because all flights were cancelled. In that same year, Apple launched the iPod, which would forever change the way students walked by her. With their earplugs in and eyes on their iPods, so began the technology-obsession. When she turned nine years old in 2004, Mark Zuckerburg launched Facebook, what would later become a world-wide trend. In 2004 I was ten years old– finally double digits! I was in fourth grade, so Facebook was not even an option for me, although my friends started to get MySpace during 5th grade.

When she could start to comprehend the world she lives in, at age twelve KD watched as the world began to suffer from a major economic crisis. I was in 7th grade at the start of the crisis, but still too young to completely understand. I do recall many of my parents’ friends losing their jobs. Two years later, in 2009, Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America, the first African-American president to do so. Though I wasn’t able to vote in this presidential election, I was able to vote in the next election (2012 – Romney vs. Obama).

I graduated from high school in 2012, and started my career at Dickinson that fall. Although I passed by KD almost every day, I never truly noticed her. Then, on September 4th 2015 during the fall of my senior year at Dickinson, I was introduced to her. From this day forward KD and I will share many moments together, and I know that each event that impacts my life will likely impact hers in some way as well.