Sensing Bill

There are different types of thinking. What works for one, may not work for another.

I have a busy mind and even busier days, so focusing on one thing at a time can be extremely difficult. My thinking condition is directly affected by my surroundings, and must be shifted depending on what type of thinking I need to conduct.

My ideal working conditions.

When focusing on and analyzing empirical data, which I do for many of my assignments as a sociology major, I need a sterile, organized, and quiet environment if I plan to be as productive as possible. When I do some of my more self reflection, that tends to be in the shower because I am comfortable, alone, and have time to let my mind wander.

Unfortunately, I don’t get to tap into my more creative thinking as often as I would like. Subconsciously, I’m sure it happens, but I need to work on bringing this to the conscious.

After reading A Sand County Almanac, Leopold’s sensitive observations to the natural environment around him have inspired me to tap into my more “in touch” side. Leopold has an eloquent way of describing, so as I sat with Bill, I tried to use his techniques.

Today, Bill is a bit damp from last nights’ rainfall. Though there are no drops of water collected on his leaves, his bark is a darker shade of brown, with an almost mushy top coat. Because water has filled the pores of his leaves, they do not rustle with the quickness and crispness that a typical fall tree would. Fall has not placed its magical touch upon Bill, forcefully moving his youthful green leaves to a shade of orange or red or brown. He is aging slowly, as a tree of his age should. His smell is simple – clean and oaky. Because the sun is covered by a thick coat of clouds, the sun is unable to cast Bill’s shadow on the ground below him. Perhaps with the addition of sun on Bill’s flesh, he will create a whole new set of sensations for me during our next visit.