What a Wonderful World

There couldn’t be a better introduction to thick descriptions than Louis Armstrong’s, What a Wonderful World. And with that, please absorb the following field notes of Bill.

As I walked from Denny Hall to the HUB, after my last class of the day, I could see Bill from a distance. He stood solo on his own triangle of grass, placed purposefully between three converging asphalt walkways. Because Bill is so young, he is quite small, and looks disproportionate to the amount of space he was allotted on the academic quad. However, it is important to keep in mind that he will grow into the space with time. It is interesting to note his size and age in comparison to the other trees on the academic quad.  As I approached the tiny specimen, he gained more and more space in my visual sphere. His leaves came to life, and since it is early enough in the season, they are still green and alive from the summer sun. The leaves didn’t wilt, or rustle. Instead, they fluttered against each other in the calm, early autumn winds.

While keeping Bill as the focal point, I circled around him. Noting every angle and building in sight.

IMG_3215.JPG

A panorama of Bill’s surroundings

What a lucky tree, to be surrounded by piles of granite, rich soil, and lots of bright students. In every direction, Bill has a new, unique and beautiful sight. Old West, Stern, Althouse, Bosler, East College, Denny, Weiss…the list goes on.

“And I think to myself….”

Sources: Armstrong, L. What A Wonderful World. 1967. Song. Accessed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2VCwBzGdPM, Oct. 10, 2015.