Field Notes 2

┬áTo my surprise, KD’s surroundings are beginning to change. When I first sit on the cement wall in front of Stern, I notice that she is now surrounded by fallen leaves, giving some more color to her setting. The leaves have fallen of of a very large tree closer to Stern, which actually takes a lot of attention away from KD, who is tucked away not only further from the entrance but behind this magnificent orange-colored tree as well.

At 11:00 am, I arrive back to where KD always is. I sit and watch. Today is not as cold as it has been for the past week, so it is a good morning to sit with her. I watch as squirrels hop by, stopping occasionally as if they are taking in the world around them, and then they continue to hop on. To my surprise, I do not hear as many leaves blowing in the wind this time around. Maybe this is because many of the leaves have already fallen, or maybe it has something to do with the lack of wind today.

11:15 hits, and the Denny bells begin to chime. They ring loud throughout the academic quad, a familiar tune that I can’t quite name.

There are only a few pedestrians that pass by me, most likely because it is a Sunday morning. As 11:30 nears, I see more and more people on their way to brunch, cozied up in their sweatpants and sweatshirts. What a beautiful morning to sit by KD.