Field Notes 3

After missing out on KD for about a week and a half, I was surprised to show up to find her branches bare. KD looks like an entirely different tree this time of year. She is brown, barren, and looking quite alone.

I sat down at 9:15 am. It is cold and crisp. The squirrels are very lively at this time of morning, most likely preparing for the winter. One hops close to KD’s trunk, then scurries away toward Old West. The rest of them are out and about, climbing all the other treesexcept KD. The other trees surrounding her are like skyscrapers in comparison.

9:20 comes around and the pedestrians pick up the pace around┬áme, likely everyone is heading to their 9:30 classes. All I can hear are some quiet conversations, because it is too early in the morning for loud ones. There isn’t much wind, and there are no more leaves, so I am left without the peaceful sound of KD’s leaves blowing in the wind.

Between 9:20 and 9:30, I hear the sound of the Stern front door closing behind students as they enter the building for class.

I love the red adirondack┬áchairs in the distance. They remind me that while I am alone with KD, I am still a part of Dickinson’s campus.

It is about 9:40, and I don’t see much movement. In the distance, I see cars stopping at the intersection of West Louther and North West Streets. There are constantly cars moving between these streets, as it is a very busy intersection.

Until next time!