Lesson Planning the Break through Way 101

Unlike many, I came to college knowing exactly what I wanted to do. Because I knew the direction I wanted to take my education, the process of selecting classes, declaring, and even finding internships was easy for me. Because I knew I wanted to be a teacher, I was able to find Breakthrough last summer.

Breakthrough was a great program for me because it was an opportunity for me to get real classroom experience. One of those experiences being how to lesson plan. So on today’s blog we are going to lesson plan the Breakthrough way!

Breakthrough teaches all the Teaching Fellows to lesson plan during orientation using these sheets:

BTNY Lesson Plan Template

BTNY-Lesson-Plan-Sheet-.docx

Every class should begin with Do Now. A Do Now is a quick problem or questions to help the students jump into the lesson at the beginning of class. The Do Now should provide the students with some ideas on what they are going to learn that day. Do Now’s can also be used to review previous content that would help them during that day or even content where students had many misconceptions and you would like to clarify. The Do Now is a great way to get instant feedback on where students are in terms of mastering the content.

After the Do Now you go over the objective, what the students will be learning that day, and the proving behavior, how they are going to learn the specific content. In my classroom I always pick a random student to read the objective and proving behavior, just so I’m not the only person talking throughout the whole class. It is important for students to take ownership of their learning through involvement and reliability in the lesson.

Now that the morning routine is complete, create a lesson by task analysis approach. Task analysis is when you breakdown a concept or problem into clear easy to understand steps. For example if you are trying to understand how to read a nutrition label, you would break those concepts into ways that it would be easier for the student to understand. So you would first want students to understand what nutrition labels are, then serving size, next calories,next percent value,and nutrient value. In this example you can see how with each step we are building understanding and using the previous step to better understand the next. Task analysis is one of the major parts.

Then for each step in the Task Analysis you would create a say, see, do cycle. A say,see,do cycle is the process used to teach a step of the task analysis.The say would be what you are going to say to the students to teach the concept, the information you are going to share with them. The see is the visuals you are using to represent what is being taught. The see can be pictures, diagrams, and videos. And lastly, the do, which is the most important part because this is the part that the students do. the do should include active participation models in order to keep students engaged. Do’s should be consistent, so at least every 3-5 mins, rigorous, demand 100% participation from students, and most importantly provide instant feedback to the teacher on whether students understand the step that had just be taught. you would need to do a say see do cycle for each step in the task analysis.

After you are done teaching the concept you would get into the structured practice where students are given work to do either alone, in groups, or as a class. The point of the structured practice is that the student are attempting to do what they have been just taught, but with guidance from a teacher.So students can ask the teacher for help,to clarify information, and to review things as a class.

When the time for structured practice is over, students are asked to put all there notes aways because it is time for the Exit Ticket also known as Guided Practice. This should be completed silently and individually. The exit ticket should cover the concept learned that day and should be graded out of 4.

The last step in lesson is a closure. A closure is used to end class. A closure can be used to get feedback on the lesson by doing thumb check ins, it can be a method called pepper, which is rapidly going around the class for one word answers, or it can be quick coral response.

I will interset  an example of all the materials I use to teach a lesson.

Bronx_Science_7_Day_18_ Group_Work

Bronx_Science_7_Day_18_Exit_Ticket

Bronx_Science_7_Day_19_Guided_Notes_

Bronx_Science_7_Day_19_Lesson_Plan

Bronx_Science_7_Day_19_Slides

Now that’s how you lesson plan the Breakthrough way!!