Presentation Of Growth (POG)

At the end of the summer Breakthrough teaching fellows, IC, and staff do  presentations of growth.  POGs are meant to help you reflect on your time at breakthrough and how you have changed or grown. Last summer I made a video for my growth presentation. However this summer, I decided to just write down my thoughts and verbally share them.

Here is my POG:

This summer was more challenging than I was expecting. This summer was the complete opposite of last summer. It is hard to not compare last summer to this summer when last summer I had everything. A lot of my mornings  this summer it  was hard to get up and come to work and it  wasn’t because of the kids or my co workers. It  was the fact that I was not given the support I need.

The best part of last summer was being able to grow everyday. learn from my mistakes and make adjustment the next day. I felt like I was making the right steps to become the teacher I dreamed of becoming. This summer I can’t say the same.

In fact, writing this POG is very difficult for me because I couldn’t think of ways in which I grew and it  is very hard to turn it  positive like I have been advised to do but i guess if i have grown some how it  is because of the difficult situations I encountered this summer.

If anything I can  I strengthen my problem solving skills by making adjustments and  making important decisions without the support of someone to troubleshoot for me.

I guess the biggest thing i can take away this summer is that sometimes as a teacher i am not going to have the support of the people above me. I am going to have to deal with difficult situations and difficult people and put up with it.

This summer has been the most uncomfortable i have ever felt. Not even the problematic white people at my school have made me feel the way i have. I felt like my problems this summer were minimal and not worth immediate action.  Nothing was being done to support me  in the way that i should have been.

The lack of support  I received then came into my classroom and my interactions with the kids. My one regret this summer is being too wrapped up my feelings and all my issues, that I didn’t have the time to be fully engaged with my kids.

It  has nothing to do with my responsibility as grade team leader, with my students, or co-workers. I just wasn’t able to do an IC’s Job the whole summer. I need feedback to grow. I need support to grow. I need an appropriate environment to grow. This summer this has not been the environment to promote my growth.