Two | Exhibition Piece in Vienna

Week 2: May 21 – May 27, 2017

After settling into my house and being able to provide meals for myself, I felt comfortable to officially begin my internship. The first project that I was supposed to get started on right away is a 3-day Futures Studies conference with over 65 people in Mid-June. My supervisor wanted me to get started on corresponding with participants and contributors of the conference with pre-conference materials. However, the week before my arrival in Antwerp, my supervisor traveled to an uninhabited French-Polynesian island near Tihiti called Me’hetia. She traveled with her partner (who is also my film supervisor) with an artist who wanted to create a film about the island.

The artist wanted to include a video clip of their travels in an exhibition in Vienna, Austria next week. He hired me as his editor for this collaborative piece. I pulled long days of 8 to 10 hours, often getting home around midnight in order to get this piece completed in a week. It was a very different experience because the artist sat next to me while I was editing to maintain his artistic vision. In the past, I had more freedom to edit movies according to my own visions of a particular piece, but this time I had to really listen to what the artist wanted and translate that on screen.

Near the end of our working timeline, we had professional editors and filmmakers come to the office and watch our piece. From them I was able to review my work process like never before. Producing a 20-minute art movie capturing the undisturbed nature on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.