Ecofeminism & Diversity Week

For Diversity week, I hosted a discussion last night about “what matters most to an ecofeminist”, but this theme quickly shifted into a discussion of radical leftist politics and anti-capitalism.  This was a fascinating transition to me; I brought it up because ecofeminism works to help me reconnect with a critique of consumer culture that’s often more explicit in environmental movements than in feminism.  As the semester closes, though, I’m thinking more and more about those intellectual roots and my own trajectory.  What is the relationship between ecofeminism and other justice movements, particularly anti-capitalist movements, especially in a moment when many environmentalists are seeking small business or what Majora Carter calls her “inner capitalist”‘s solutions?

This also ties in to my experiences in 2010 at the US Social Forum and at the National Women’s Studies Association conference.  Why do intentional conferences/communities of women struggle within other justice movements?  And why do some communities of women exclude other justice issues from primary attention? Patriarchy?  Bad management?  Lack of creativity?

In short, how can we build collective struggle AND collective knowledge bases?

, , ,

1. #1 by ctighe on December 4, 2010 - 3:14 am

It’s an uprising!

2. #2 by Professor Brylinsky on November 19, 2010 - 8:24 pm

This was the EXACT same experience as at the lunch hour meeting!