Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 89 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 93 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 94 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/ms-settings.php on line 14 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/ms-settings.php on line 15 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 125 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 126 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 127 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 128 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 129 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 130 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 131 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 132 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 133 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 134 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 135 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 136 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 137 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 138 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 139 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 140 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 141 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 142 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 25 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 28 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 31 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 34 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 37 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 143 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 144 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 145 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 146 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 147 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 148 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 149 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 150 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 151 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 152 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 153 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 154 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 158 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 159 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 160 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 171 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/mu-plugins/anarchy_media_player.php on line 3 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/mu-plugins/anarchy_media/anarchy_media_player.php on line 20 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/mu-plugins/anarchy_media/anarchy_media_player.php on line 21 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/mu-plugins/anarchy_media/anarchy_media_player.php on line 22 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/mu-plugins/anarchy_media/anarchy_media_player.php on line 23 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 171 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 171 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/plugins/akismet/akismet.php on line 47 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/plugins/akismet/akismet.php on line 48 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-content/plugins/akismet/akismet.php on line 58 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/blogs/wp-settings.php on line 179 A final word while whipping up a meal « Ecofeminism

A final word while whipping up a meal

As I sit at my little kitchen table, I am overcome with the urge to cook a nutritious meal of brown rice with vegetables sprinkled with freshly-grated parmesan cheese and to bake some banana-chocolate-pecan-bran muffins. I can smell the aromas of the vegetables releasing their juices and letting their distinct and unique flavors mingle with one another as I gently stir them in the pan. The scent of roasting pecans and melting chocolate waft through the cracks of the oven. I want to light a candle this icy cold evening and invite a few friends to enjoy the meal with a glass of Bordeaux. Then reality smacks me in the face: it’s almost finals week.

I do in fact cook a meal this evening and decide to consciously think of every ingredient I am adding, of its origins and how it reacts with the other flavors. Instead of adding a whole myriad of seasonings as I usually do, it seems oddly important to keep the recipe simple. Just tomatoes, fresh basil, a garlic clove, olive oil, and some whole grain pasta.

I start thinking of my role as a woman in society and my attraction to all that is related to the kitchen. Is this a result of culture or is this a natural phenomenon? Culture versus nature— my thoughts rush back to our Ecofeminism class. As I daydream, I realize with a pang that our last class together is fast approaching. So instead of rushing downstairs to get my notes or a book while simultaneously considering the global implications of all the problems in our society, I decide to put my frenzied thoughts aside for a moment and approach the collection of cookware shoved in a small cabinet in my college apartment.

As I bring the spaghetti sauce to a simmer, my thoughts lazily wander to “womanism” by Layli Phillips and this just leads me right back to Audre Lorde’s “the erotic”. My mind is usually zapping with static images and sounds rushing from one thought or feeling to the next. I breathe in deeply and embrace what I am doing at that instance. An image of a 50′s housewife flits through my thoughts. I cringe but then realize- why does that matter? I am happy and plus, “there is no alternative to food” as one of our classmates so eloquently stated a few weeks ago. So while doing a “chore” I might as well enjoy the process of providing nutrients for my body to generate energy.

If there something to remember in 50 years, it is that the the little things matter and bring joy. There is beauty and pleasure in most things we do each day. I don’t need to run away to a distant country to appreciate and be aware of the little charms in life such as the simple preparation of a wholesome meal. I don’t need to be in Toscany to appreciate my spaghetti bolognese or in France to savor a three course meal. I am here.

picture from: http://spaghettibologneserecipe.org.uk/spaghetti_bolognese_recipe_pics/55.jpg

, , , , , ,

1. No comments yet.