Eager to learn

To be completely honest, I feel like I grew up in a bubble, oblivious to my natural environment. I was the child who enjoyed staying in the house and playing with dolls. Along with the fact that I am allergic to grass, I was never enthused with playing outdoors. I think this shaped my view on nature. I never thought of nature as a bad thing but I was never too concerned about it either. This changed somewhat when I began learning about global warming and other environmental concerns. At this time I realized that air to breath and water to drink were necessary to my survival. This is when my appreciation for nature began. 

Environmentally Friendly?

When it comes to gender, im not quite sure when I first thought about myself as a woman and what that meant. I do remember being a young child, and fighting with my siblings over which power-rangers we were going to be. Me and my sister both always wanted to be the pink power-ranger, because “pink was for girls.” I was aware of stereotypes and societal expectations of gender at a very young age. It was not until attending Dickinson that I really began to challenge these sterotypes/expectations and ask myself what it really means to be a woman. As a psychology major, looking to broaden my knowledge base, I stumbled upon the women and gender studies minor. I didn’t read any texts that led to my thoughts about nature or gender, my viewpoints are all based in experiences.

Feminism in general is something that is somewhat new to me. I am still grappling with the question of exactly what it means to be a feminist and whether I identify with being a feminist or not. I look forward to this class and am eager to learn about ecofeminism, seeing how nature relates to feminism, being able to define exactly what ecofeminism is and think more about myself as a feminist.

1. No comments yet.