Toxicity Report

My first thought on my Cosmetics Toxicity Report is that I use a lot more products than I thought I did. I consider myself to be pretty low maintenance when it comes to make up and hair, however after writing down everything I used I am beginning to doubt that. During this week everyone had a stomach bug, this increased my use of Purell immensely. Looking at my report, the overuse of hand sanitizer sticks out to me the most. I find it almost comical to look at my time sheet and see every product I put on my body during that week. Overall, I am happy with my list. I think that most of the products I used are necessary for our culture and society; for example, shampoo, soap, and deodorant.

There are things I do not find necessary such as make up, conditioner, and, to the extent at which I use them, hand sanitizer and chap stick. The products I use, according to EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, all have a hazard score of 4 or below. This means the products I use are of moderate hazard to my body. This surprised me in a positive way because I never put much thought to what shampoos or soaps I use and what chemicals are in them. One product I used almost more than hand sanitizer was my chap stick by a brand eos, which I decided to do further research on.

I use chap stick more than any other product on an average day, because of this I decided to look into the product more. The first thing I found out was that it is not called chap stick, but rather lip balm. I then looked up my product, eos Lip Balm Sphere in Summer Fruit, on EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database where I discovered that it’s hazard score is only one. This surprised me and made me very content with the product that I put on my lips so often. The two worst ingredients in my lip balm are flavor and tocopherol. The hazards that come with the ingredient of “flavor” are unknown because flavor is a pretty vague term. However, tocopherol has been tested and shows tumor growth when applied in high doses in animal studies. Since there is not a high concentration of tocopherol, a naturally occurring chemical, there is not a high risk associated with my lip balm.

The low risk associated with my lip balm made me wonder more about the other products eos makes. Upon reading their website  I learned that they do not share a lot of information about their history or the nature of their products. It is a line of beauty products that are said to be primarily natural. All of their products are either all natural or close to it, with the exception of their shaving cream. What surprised me further is that my lip balm is also FDA approved organic. This made me feel a little better about the product that I so often use. Despite searching for more information on eos and company themselves, I found little information. I wish I could have learned more, especially about their history. However I did learn that the product I use most often is of little hazard to my health.

1. No comments yet.