Toxicity Report

Reflection of My Body Work:

After tracking all my products for several days, I was not surprised by the products that I used. Wearing make-up is something that I never wear unless I am going out to an event that is very fancy and feel that I should probably wear something. I think that my log would differ from many college girls due to the fact that I do not spend hours putting on beauty products to get ready for the day.  I refuse to wear make-up on weekends when going out to a party or going out to dinner. As years have progressed, I’ve gradually stopped wearing make up.I used to put all different kinds of make-up when I was in high school. Then later, I slowly stopped wearing a few things until I only applied a little bit of mascara. Now, I am a 21 year old college student, that feels that make-up is not appealing at all. I have come to embrace the way I look, rather than trying to hide my face to something that is not who I am. I would say that I am very happy when looking at my list. I am not someone who takes showers everyday because I think people who shower everyday loose natural oils that are completely natural for the body.  I typically like to shower and wash my hair every-other-day and my body does well with that pattern. Since I was little, my parents have been bringing me up in a way to stray from chemicals that are not natural and trying to stick to organic products and natural ingredients. I think that my body log would be a lot different if I didn’t have the money to spend the extra couple bucks to get natural and organic products. A lot of the products that I have listed are for hygiene and are pretty necessary in order to keep my face from breaking out (getting clean) however, I have an unnecessary obsession with my lip balm.  I apply it so often, that my lips almost do not need it however, it feels strange without it. I think that my list would be less than another 21 year old college girl because of the fact that I am very conscious about putting unnatural products on my body and I do not want or feel the need to apply make-up.

Analysis of Weleda Iris Hydrating Facial Lotion:

Weleda is manufactured in France, Switzerland and Germany. Overall, Weleda Iris Hydrating Facial Lotion was listed as a moderate health concern which was last updated a year ago in May 2011. I chose to pick this product to write about because I thought this was a very good product to use since Weleda is known for their good ingredients and organic ingredients. However, instead I was shocked by the level that Deep Skin gave it (6 hazard level) because of the fragrances that were rated as an 8 hazard level. I thought that it would be listed more as a 3 or 4. These concerns of its hazard were based off of its neurotoxicity, allergies/immunotoxicity and miscellaneous. Within the allergy and immunotoxicity of this product, there is limited information of the immune system toxicity of a chemical called Limonene. Limonene  has lemon/citrus odor and has been reported to have irritating affects of workers in an industrial exposure long-term. For example, one would come in contact with this from degreasing and the preparation of paint. High doses have been shown to cause renal cancer in rats however, there hasn’t been any information about the long term affects of inhalation on ones health. Limonene can cause irritation to the eyes, skin, or lungs. Two possible human immune toxicants are Linalool and Citronellol. Three ingredients such as Geranoil, Fragrance and Citral are known human immune toxicants. The problem that comes from writing “fragrance” is that one cannot see the actual substance that is providing the scent.

When studying the organ system toxicity that are classified as moderate concern and are non-reproductive; Xanthan Gum is classified as a low human health priority while Ethanol is classified as medium. Substances like; Glyceryl, Linoleate, Water, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene, Citronellol and Citral are classified as not being toxic and harmful. There is however, little evidence of Glycerin and Magnesium Aluminum Silicate of its renal toxicity.

Fortunately, Weleda does not use any carcinogens and doesn’t have endocrine disruptor in their products. Weleda is a good brand because of their choice of organic ingredients and their holistic approach. There is unknown information about the affects of Weleda’s industry/manufacturing to its surrounding areas.

Weleda achieved “Innovator Status” by the Compact of Safe Cosmetics. They have listed about 75% of their products with Deep Skin with updated information about their different products. The products that Weleda has posted information about on the Deep Skin Database have been in complied with European Union Cosmetics Directive receiving high status. Weleda also achieve to use safer alternatives of ingredients in their products.

I will have to admit that after looking this information up about Weleda having such a high hazard level, it made me want to change lotions to something that would be even better not containing any fragrances. I will continue to use this lotion until it runs out since I use it twice a day on my face after washing my face to keep my face moisturized. I am happy that it doesn’t have any carcinogens since Weleda uses organic and natural products however, I think I could find something better that would not include a fragrance and such a high hazardous level.

, , , , ,

1. No comments yet.