Toxicity Report

Upon starting the bodywork log, I never realized how much of a routine that I abided by on a daily basis.  Without even thinking, I wake up every morning and brush my teeth and use mouthwash, and depending on how late I wake up I take a shower.  Something I learned from doing a bodywork log was how forgetful I can be sometimes.  I would sit down at the end of the day and record my findings and realize that I completely forgot to put on deodorant that day.  The bodywork log was a good way to understand how much product I use every day and how not everything I use is completely healthy.

In Depth Analysis of Sensodyne Iso-Active Toothpaste, Multi-Action

Sensodyne Iso-Active Toothpaste poses a few threats on the human body, something shocking to learn because I use it every single day.  The chart found on EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database shows that the overall hazard of using the toothpaste is moderate, with a score between low and moderate for cancer.  The developmental and reproductive toxicity is about the same as cancer.  It scored above moderate on allergies and immunotoxicity and a little above developmental and reproductive toxicity from use reactions.  On a short term level, it may result in irritation to the skin eyes and lungs.

Off the packaging, the active ingredients are Potassium Nitrate (5%) (Antihypersensitivity), Sodium Fluoride (0.15% w/v Fluoride Ion) (Anticavity)Inactive Ingredients: Carrageenan Gum, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, FD&C Blue 1, Flavor, Glycerin, Hydrated Silica, Isopentane, PEG 6, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Saccharin, Sorbitol, Water, Xanthan Gum.  The packaging also says that, “WarningsIf pain/sensitivity still persists after 4 weeks of use, please visit your dentist. Stop use and ask a dentist if the problem persists or worsens. Sensitive teeth may indicate a serious problem that may need prompt care by a dentist. Flammable. Contents under pressure. Do not puncture or incinerate. Do not store at temperature above 120°. Use only as directed. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal. Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Central right away.”

According to EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database, PEG-6 may lead to organ system toxicity, and hold contamination concerns.  The sodium fluoride found in the toothpaste may lead to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, organ system toxicity, and multiple exposures may irritate the skin eyes or lungs.  Sodium Saccharin holds cancer concerns as well as multiople, additive expouser sources. Other ingredients like FD&C Blue 1 and Hydrated Silca lead to cancer concerns.

Sensodyne is owned by GlaxoSmithKline, a company whos mission statement is “We have a challenging and inspiring mission to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer” according to their website.  I was unable to find where Sensodyne is produced, or its affects on the communities/workers.  According to GlaxoSmithKlines website, “GSK is committed to integrating environmental sustainability into our business.  We have a responsibility to contribute to meeting environmental challenges, but we also see this as an opportunity.”

1. No comments yet.