A Better Way to S.H.A.R.E

Project SHARE is an organization that aims at feeding the growing population sustainably. On April 17th, our class was fortunate enough to have speaker and representative, Lindsey Lyons, tell us more about this organization.The SHARE in Project SHARE stands for: Survival Help And Recipient Education. Prior to Lindsay’s visit I was not knowledgeable about this organization and from her lecture have gained a better perspective and even a sparked inspiration. Located on Orange St, Dickinson College gives a space for Project SHARE that is rent free, to help the Carlisle area and communities alike. Dickinson’s generosity provides Project SHARE 23,000 sq. feet and easy access for students to become active and involved in this community effort. Providing support and assistance,1,000 families a month are provided food, clothing and living supplies. The families are free of charge and receive their food and supplies on the third Thursday of every month. While they are serving abundant amounts of food, you may be thinking, there giving away the poor stuff. Wrong! Project SHARE grows their food and vegetables locally. Generating nearly 800 volunteers, in their 17 years of existence, this local Food Bank provides a great way for college students and the local community to get involved.

After telling us about the ins and outs, Lindsey discussed in detail how this organization relates to an ecofeminist perspective. To help us grasp a better understanding, she provided our class with several ecofeminist solutions that Project SHARE aims at. Some of these solutions included: protecting the local culture, understanding the needs of the area, bringing together community groups and forming volunteer alliances, and the most important, to build a healthy sense of community and culture in the Carlisle area. Project SHARE’s consistent ability to re-use clothing and prevent wasting food, allows the local families living at the poverty level to survive. Not only is this community outreach helping families survive, but forming alliances and building a more positive community culture. I was very pleased to hear that pregnant women are given priority at the food distribution every month and then women and children. The organizations respect for the dignity of the local community is astounding and has truly inspired me to get involved on a local level at home.

This past summer my mom began to cultivate her own garden where she grew grape tomatoes, supersonic tomatoes, white eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini and jalapéno peppers. My mom’s sparked interest in home grown food never really phased me, I was always just fortunate to have healthier meals on the dinner table. However, after hearing about Project SHARE, and listening to Lindsey speak to our class, I almost wonder if there is a way I too can become involved. This summer, I plan on giving my mom a helping hand and learning more about what it means to cultivate your own fresh food. I also plan to do some research in my community and see if there is a place I can take the food we don’t use.

This is a picture from my mom's garden at home.

While we are nearing the close of this semester, I want to acquire gardening knowledge this summer in hopes of visiting the Dickinson College Farm next year. I’d also really like to get involved with Project SHARE and contribute to their sustainable efforts. My only regret in taking this course this semester is taking it so late in my Dickinson College career, but I am very excited to become more involved in sustainable food efforts now that I am more educated!

1. No comments yet.