Graduate School: Is it worth it?

This article discusses the pros and cons of attending graduate school. Many college graduates move on to graduate school after finishing undergraduate programs. In today’s economy, many jobs require more than just an undergraduate degree but this of course increases the debt that comes with attempting to get a better paying job. What I found to be interesting about this article is the change over time of education levels. A few years in the past, a graduate degree was not necessary for too many jobs but in some ways, graduate school is becoming the new “college.” Many people plan on attending it after college, myself included, but this article advises many to think about the decision before they make it. For me, this article really made me think about my choice. Of course, I still have a few years to think about this in more depth and to see what my options are when I get there, however,  as the article stated, many students after graduating from graduate school do not even get a high paying job that will put a dent into the debts that they have accrued from their education. The “social norms” for education have in some ways changed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/grad-school-a-leg-up–in-debt/2012/10/26/a7a08860-1bed-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_story.html

3 Comments »

1. zangass Said,

November 1, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

This article was very interesting to me, because it directly applies to my life. Me and countless other students are faced with the immense life decision of whether or not to attend graduate school. This article that outlines the pros and cons, was a helpful read. The current economic situation is one of the largest factors in this decision. A big question becomes is it really worth it to be in years of debt to possibly have the chance to attain a higher paying job, and will it pay off in time. I liked this article and others like it that help one look at both sides of the argument to make an informed decision.

2. Russ Allen Said,

November 6, 2012 @ 2:34 am

I also found this article to be very interesting because it directly applies to my life. As a junior history major with hopes of one day teaching at the college level, graduate school is a necessity. It does, however, cause me to re-evaluate the best course of action to get there. As the article suggests, it may be more beneficial to find a job after I graduate that will pay or aid in graduate studies. Just as the article hints, I find it also to be true that it is hard for young college students to weigh the best options between time and money. For many, they believe that it would be better to go to recieve more schooling while they are young, and worry about their debts later. This article really challenges students to do long-term thinking.

3. galuchit Said,

November 7, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

This article is very much revealing and interesting. I plan on majoring in IB and that does not necessarily require me to go to gradate school compared to science or engineering majors. Usually you receive a job through the company you intern with as a business as a major, and if that company feels you need additional school, then they usually agree to pay for the cost of it. Overall, I feel that graduate school takes a major toll on people in the long run. Going from $200,000 in just your undergraduate at private schools, to paying even more money for your graduate, you would you paying for school for a long period of time. I feel that the debts graduate school gives someone is almost to much to handle.

RSS feed for comments on this post