Value of Education for Adult Students

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_for_all_ages.htm?kid=1LFY0&svkid=1NDUI&usid=ecaf023f-fa43-46be-98bb-266593a5e654

I really like this article since I too am an adult student, not 50 just yet but close enough.  So this article deals with a concept that we have been discussing in class dealing with labor. In particular, it shows the value of “human capital” and why that is important for those hitting their prime, not really, but individuals with at least 17 to 20 years left in the job market. So there is great value in improving ones credentials and skill sets even at 50.

2 Comments »

1. atanasse Said,

November 21, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

Exactly what my father used to say: “It’s never too late to learn something new” :) I can see how this relates to class. As adults are getting older, their skills/ knowledge is becoming out of date, so they try to return to the high-skilled employment market by going to college at later ages and pursuing new skills there. I think it is a great opportunity to go to college even at older ages if one has the time.

2. beehlerm Said,

November 24, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Also it seems as though there is a new definition for low skill labor. This definition expects workers to come into the work force with knowledge that requires an education. For people to continue to be competitive for those positions they need to update their skills. This could also be the reason there is a growth in community colleges because wage isn’t increasing while the cost to the worker is increasing because they are asked to pay for an education.

RSS feed for comments on this post