Higher Educations Decrease in Value

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21567373-american-universities-represent-declining-value-money-their-students-not-what-it

For decades higher education has been considered an extremely valuabe resource. A resource that was considered to be the key to success later in life. One that would allow you to make much more money and obtain benefits that one without a degree could not. With the rising cost of an education, that continues to rise, many are beginning to shy away from going to college. More debt, means more risk. Many students come out of college with a huge chunk of debt and have to work years to dig themselves out of this hole. Many argue that although the price of a higher education has risen, the quality of the classes have remained the same, leaving many to question if college is worth it.

3 Comments »

1. Jessica S Said,

December 5, 2012 @ 3:58 am

I found this article very relevant and interesting. I have heard this argument come up before and it does seem to be valid in certain cases. i feel that this is especially relevant now since many college graduates are struggling for employment. In years past college equaled a job, but now there is more uncertainty, with the still recovering job market in the post-recession times.

2. ohanleye Said,

December 7, 2012 @ 6:00 am

I have a hard time believing that online universities are the answer to the problem of the skyrocketing cost of going to college, however I do agree with much of what the author wrote. I also think it’s somewhat embarrassing that only 57 percent of Americans who start college actually finish and do so within six years, and I think that this most certainly is reflective of how bad the current system is.

3. ryan Said,

December 12, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

I found this article interesting. I have discussed this argument before and it appears to be valid. It seems to be valid because in todays society many college students are having a very difficult time finding a job with the employment rate being so high. In the old days a college degree almost ensured that one would get a job but today one may not only have to go to college but also graduate school

RSS feed for comments on this post