Americans buying more fuel- efficient cars, polluting less

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/05/graph-of-the-day-americans-buying-more-efficient-cars-polluting-less/?wprss=rss_economy&tid=pp_widget

Due to the change in supply of oil, American producers are producing more fuel efficient cars. That is a response also to the increasing demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles. Americans realize that as prices of gas skyrocket and falter, becoming more and more unstable, they will be more secure with a car that doesn’t waste all their money. This recentĀ 20 percent drop in greenhouse-gas emissions has been a phenomenal step for americans. This article also included an interesting chart showing the fuel used per gallon driven, the miles drive, and overall vehicle emissions.

4 Comments »

1. atanasse Said,

December 6, 2012 @ 4:32 am

I think that we can see the invisible hand doing its work in a sense :). As every individual is striving to pay less for fuel, the producers are producing fuel efficient cars AND the environment is enjoying the benefits as well, as the pollution emissions are alleviated. Moreover, the domestic production seems to be increased as well, as the oil imports have been shrinking.

2. galuchit Said,

December 6, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

I find this article to be very interesting. I would think that if more buys a more fuel efficient car then he or she would tend to drive more because the car gets more miles to the gallon. However, I do agree with atanasse that the invisible hand is doing its work. The high prices of gas is also a major factor is driving less, regardless of how many miles a car gets to the gallon. I feel that as the car companies continue to make fuel efficient cars, than the more people will buy them to save them money on paying for gas, and getting more miles per their dollar.

3. beehlerm Said,

December 6, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

Considering the way the government subsidizes fossil fuels, it is probably good to see a price increase in fossil fuels. This way other forms of energy can be more competitive alternatives and we can return to a free energy market where favors aren’t given to any competitor. I think it is obvious by the increase in numbers of fuel efficient cars being bought that if people had to pay the true price of fossil fuel energy they would consider using a different type of energy or using much less. Also when considering the externalities of fossil fuels we do not pay the true price for fossil fuels.

4. ryan Said,

December 12, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

This article was very interesting. I thought it was good that the price of fossil fuels was increasing because now this is forcing consumers to buy fuel efficient cars and other eco friendly alternatives. This will make the united states be much less polluted and improve the overall standard of living

RSS feed for comments on this post