To wrap it all up

Today is the last day of my internship with the New England Aquarium’s Rescue and Rehabilitation Team. It has been an incredible and unforgettable experience! I loved working with the endangered sea turtles. Being able to see their recovery and release after months of rehabilitation was rewarding and motivating. It’s satisfying to know that I have – in whatever small measure – helped contribute to the perseverance of the species.  My favorite part was the field work with seals; it is fun to see the animals in their natural habitat. I also enjoyed the public education portion of the internship both through this blog and in the field. It allowed me to practice and improve upon my own understanding and articulation of this field of biology.

Throughout this internship I was challenged both mentally and physically.  As a student I had to learn about in-house clinical procedures and parameters, learn how to maintain the tank life-support systems, and how to evaluate cases in the field. When responding in the field the terrain could sometimes be rocky or steep, and some of the animals were very heavy, requiring strength and endurance to carry them to the ambulance.  There was never a predictable or easy day, which was exciting and engaging.

Another wonderful part of this internship has been my coworkers. There was always a professional but easy-going atmosphere.  All of the staff and volunteers have been exceedingly nice, and are very knowledgeable, eager and easy to work with.   I learned something from every person that I had the pleasure to work with.

I really appreciate the opportunity to intern with the Rescue and Rehab team this summer. These past 12 weeks with the Rescue and Rehab department have influenced my career path. Before coming into this internship I knew I wanted to go into veterinary medicine; however, this internship has inspired me to pursue emergency and rescue veterinary medicine.  My participation in this internship could not have been possible without the support from Dickinson College’s Career Center Internship Grant. As this is an unpaid internship, the grant helped subsidize the cost of transportation between my house and the rescue facility. Thank you, Dickinson, for helping me have this experience.